Tasty Tuesday: Egg Muffins

posted by Jory on Tuesday, January 24, 2012
So, I found this recipe on Pinterest and I made a couple minor changes (some good, some...well, not so much). Here's the original recipe and link (with my notes in brown). It's an easy, fairly quick breakfast. I didn't take a picture because I ate them too fast. Sorry.

Broccoli and Italian Sausage Egg Muffins from (Snacking in the Kitchen)

Ingredients (I cut this in recipe in half because it was just for my mom and me. We each got three muffins).

1 pound Italian Sausage (sweet, mild, hot variety depending on your preference)
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup chopped onion
Ditto any other vegetable you want to add if you want to be weird like that (my dad likes peas)
8 large eggs
1/4 cup milk (or half and half depending on how you're feeling that day)
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil (I actually used coconut oil, but I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you don't mind the coconut flavor overpowering everything else.)
1/2 tsp baking powder (I wouldn't even measure this, I'd just use a pinch because it didn't really seem to make much of a difference.)
salt & pepper to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese as needed (I used cheddar instead. Mmm, cheddar).

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In a large saute pan, over medium high heat, brown Italian Sausage for about 5 minutes, or until the sausage is no longer pink. Remove from heat and stir in broccoli.
3. Whisk together eggs, milk, oil and baking powder.  Season with salt and pepper.
4. Lightly (or not-so-lightly. Your call. I didn't use enough and it was terrible trying to clean the pan afterwards) spray a 12-cupcake pan with oil.Spoon out the sausage and broccoli mixture evenly into each cupcake.
5. Ladle the egg mixture over sausage and broccoli. (I just used my measuring cup, because seriously, who needs to get an extra utensil dirty?)
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. (Or cheddar, if you're cool like me.)
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Yeah, so they were pretty good but, like I said, I didn't grease the pan sufficiently and cleanup was a bitch. I also added in chopped onion, which was delicious, but I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and it didn't blend well so I ended up eating straight chunks of coconut oil in my eggs. Hey, I never said I was chef or anything.

Also, Justine made something like this for me in Boston and it was way better. Justine, you can go ahead and send me that recipe...

0 comments:

 

jo writes the blog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos