Happy Erg Valentine's Day

posted by Jory on Tuesday, February 14, 2012
Like I said yesterday, I'm not the biggest fan of Valentine's Day. It could possibly have something to do with the fact that my last serious relationship pretty much ended on V-Day. But to be honest, I never cared much for the holiday in the first place. I hate pink. And I don't like the idea of going out to a fancy, expensive dinner when the food will probably be rush-cooked and restaurant will be crowded anyway. Just stay in and be comfortable and do the night-out thing another time.

Also, Cupid just creeps me out. I mean, who really wants a fat naked baby shooting them with an arrow? Hello, ouch. And that Cupid baby is just going to grow up to be a pervert and a sociopath anyway. And he will most likely be afflicted with delusions of grandeur, thinking he can just fly around wearing nothing but a pair of wings and a quiver.

Nuh uh, not having it.

What I do always appreciate about V-Day, however, is my dad. My dad is my forever Valentine because he always gets me a ludicrous amount of chocolate. And he's also just a good dad in general. (I swear I'm not sucking up. He doesn't even know I keep a blog and wouldn't read it if he did.)

(that's me, fyi)
So, in honor of Valentine's Day, I thought I'd share a little blurb I wrote a few months ago after a writing prompt told me to. Mainly because I'm vain, and also because I just reread it today and still like it.

She touched the little box in her pocket and smiled. She knew she probably shouldn’t keep it. The right thing to do would be to put it back where she found it, which was in her step-sister’s second to bottom drawer. But she wasn’t interested in doing the right thing. Not this time. So she walked out of the house and turned the corner. Down the street she went, that little box along with her, until she reached her destination. The doors to the post office swung open and she stopped at the back of the line. She reached into her purse and found the slip of paper with the address scribbled on it. Her step-sister’s boyfriend’s address. Not her “local” boyfriend, who wrote her all the notes contained in that little box. No. The address was to her “real” boyfriend, the one she left back in Michigan with a promise to be faithful, who was about to be in for a rude awakening. Happy Valentine’s Day, sister dear. 


Also, here's a V-Day Haiku I wrote a few years ago that won a contest. 
My dear ex-boyfriend,
Thanks for dumping me before
You gave up showers.

 That is all. Have a great ahem holiday.

0 comments:

 

jo writes the blog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos