Freaky Friday, but not the movie.

posted by Jory on Friday, February 20, 2009
It was a weird day in the library today.

Some girl was bawling her eyes out in the microfiche section. I first heard the sniffling and thought maybe she had a bad cold. But then the waterworks started, followed by the incoherent blubbering.

It was astounding.

I was torn between wanting to find out what was wrong and wanting to quietly asking her if she might be more comfortable in the bathroom. I was leaning toward the former merely out of curiosity.

I started making up elaborate stories for why she would be crying in the microfiche section. Like maybe she found a spider in one of the drawers (they aren't used much), or maybe the screen gave her a headache,... but nothing fit. And before I had a chance to do anything at all, she left.

Then, in the computer lab, there was a guy who was sitting in the back just yakking away on his cell about baseball tickets and some class he was taking. It was extremely disruptive, and everyone in the room took turns to glare at him, but he was oblivious.

I was about to stand up and tell him that cell phone use is prohibited in the library, but then he left too. Oh well.

I'm beyond tired because I was up til 2am finishing "Remember Me" by Sophie Kinsella.

I really liked it. The initial plot (girl wakes up in the hospital with amnesia to find that she has turned into a bitch, for lack of a better word) has been done before (can you say, Samantha Who?). But the way it is presented is completely original and funny.

It's the minor details and events that really bring it to life (i.e. killing a $600 fish then hiding it in a handbag), not to mention the bizarre but very believable supporting characters (a teenaged con-artist sister and a whippet obsessed mother).

The book was delightful and I finished it in two days.

Then, after I was done reading, I randomly decided I felt like taking a shower. So I didn't end up going to bed until around 3am, only to wake up at 6 for work.

It's cool, though. I had a short shift at work. Now I just have one class, one lunch meeting, then I can go home and stick a movie in.

I still don't know what my next book should be for my reading list. I'm having a hard time finding any chick-lit mysteries that don't center around shoes and shopping.

Ron was looking a little sad last night. He wasn't swimming around much, but just sitting there staring at my roommate's flower arrangement. He seemed better this morning when I left, though. I think I'm just a little paranoid after the loss of Harry. I swear, that's the first time something unlucky has ever happened to me on Friday the 13th. I thought that whole thing was a sham.

My niece (have I mentioned my sister changed the name from Enid to Vivienne?) is due one week from today. I'm excited. And sad that I'm going to miss it.

I received "Tommy Sullivan is a Freak" in the mail yesterday from Meg Cabot for entering her Valentine's Day Haiku contest. It is the British edition of "Pants on Fire."

I also got my new rain boots in the mail today. Of course, it was bright and sunny today. Go figure.

These are them. Cute, huh? My mom picked them out. Go mom.

1 comments:

SimpleComplexity on 21/2/09 6:01 PM said...

google says its gonna rain on Monday, don't you fear. you can wear them soon.

(PS - Ron is still alive?! wooohooo!)

 

jo writes the blog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos