Vampires Are Sucking The Life Out Of ME!!! No, really...

posted by Jory on Wednesday, November 11, 2009
I've already admitted that I've been swept up in the Twilight Saga phenom. But I've also, thanks to Tia's recommendation, spent a whole weekend watching the entire first season of BBC's Being Human on MegaVideo because I don't get BBC America from my cable provider. Jerks. Following that, I read ALL FOUR Vampire Diaries Books in two days. And I have become addicted to the show on CW.

For the record, I'm pro-Stefan. But Damon can stick around.

Anyways, I wanted to take a moment to talk about the books. So far they are not much like the show. In the show, Elena Gilbert is popular but not entitled, stands by her principles, and is confident. She is a brunette, she has a brother, and just the one best friend (Bonnie). In the books she is blonde, arrogant (at more than one point even referring to herself as the "Queen of the School"), and, frankly, kind of annoying. She has two best friends (Meredith and Bonnie), and a baby sister. In both the books and the show, Bonnie has psychic powers. The similarities sort of end there.

Once you get past the annoying personality of Elena in the books, however, they are pretty good. At first they seem to be copying Twilight (even though they preceded Twilight by 14 years). However, the further you get into them the more different they are.

There are four books in the first series from the early 90's: The Awakening, The Struggle, The Fury, and Dark Reunion. However, there is a new series in progress called The Return which has one book, Nightfall, which was released in February of this year, and two more that are still being written.

I've just started reading Nightfall, and so far it is very bizarre. I'm tempted to just stop reading, but I know I wont. However, I would recommend stopping after the first series, at least until the rest of this series is released.

Also, if you have NOT watched the show, my favorite episode so far is last week's "162 Candles." I'll bet that if you start with that one it will draw you in. If you are a girl. If you are a guy, well, that's another story.

0 comments:

 

jo writes the blog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos